Some of my favorite photos taken in 2011.
I’m very happy to start off the new year with a new blog location! While I thought I’d have a lot of time in December to concentrate on new business ideas and ventures, I didn’t get around to as much as I wanted to. However, I was able to create this new blog which has been fun and retrospective; importing all of the material I had from the last year or so at greenvintagephotography.wordpress.com has given me a chance to reflect. I’m still working out some kinks and working on the format, but it’s ready for the most part.
And then, I went to the Grand Canyon for Christmas! Now if that’s not a great place for endings and beginnings, I don’t know what is.
2011 was a pretty great year for me. It was challenging in so many ways that I’ve never experienced before, but those challenges and fears pushed me into doing some things I’d never have done otherwise. I definitely got a lot of clarity in 2011, which is what I probably needed most.
Some of the lessons I’ve learned this year:
- You simply must eat something in the morning with your coffee. Otherwise, you’ll starve yourself until 3PM and then want to bite someone’s head off.
- Giving a gift to someone who really, really appreciates it is the actual best thing ever.
- Pride is overrated. You have to tell someone when they hurt your feelings, right when it happens.
- Getting rid of stuff and having a neat and organized work and living space is so incredible necessary.
- The worst things that happen to you are often the biggest learning experiences.
- Investing in people who put you in a better mood after you see them is so much better than the opposite.
- Tackling the thing you most dread doing first thing in the morning will change the tone of your whole day.
- You have to let people help you when they offer and you need it.
- Strength training for 30 minutes a day makes me a much happier person.
- “Hiding” certain people on social media is… key.
- You can learn how to do just about anything by googling it.
- Eating lots of fruits and vegetables in your diet makes such a difference.
- Setting your limits for others is important, otherwise you’ll constantly be taken advantage of and no value is placed on what you have to give.
- You don’t actually need to use painter’s tape when you’re painting a room. Learning how to paint thoughtfully and properly will make you feel like a pro.
- People will constantly surprise you, for better and for worse.
- When you self-deprecate, even the closest people to you will begin to believe it. You can’t hold it against them when you planted the thoughts.
- Pinterest, Evernote and the iphone are genius.
- Working from home requires great discipline.
- All of us can live with less than we think we can.
- It’s official- I’m a little too sensitive. It can be a good thing in many ways, but over-thinking is for the birds.
- I always need a project or else I’ll go insane.
- Karma exists.
- A small, simple life is just as valuable as any other.
So excited for 2012, it’s gonna be a good one, I just know it.